A Proud History of Service
Serving the Community Since 1897
In 1897, our funeral home began serving the community as Biggs & Stoeckel Funeral Home on the corner of South Barstow and Main Streets. As the years passed, the name changed to Ray Biggs and Company, and after a fire destroyed the original building, the funeral home was relocated to East Broadway. Upon Mr. Bigg's death in 1925, Erling Larsen was hired as a funeral director. Five years later, Erling and his wife Olive purchased the business from Mrs. Biggs and relocated the funeral home to 419 East Broadway.
In 1962 local funeral director James Hamacher opened a funeral home at 237 N. Moreland Boulevard where he continued in business until 1968 when his funeral home was acquired by Grant Zinnecker and John Cesarz. The two purchased the Erling Larsen Funeral Home in 1975, operating out of both the Moreland Boulevard and East Broadway locations.
Mary Lou Charapata joined Cesarz and Zinnecker in 1982. Following Grant Zinnecker's retirement, Mary Lou became a partner in the business in 1993. At that time, the firm's name changed to Cesarz, Charapata & Zinnecker Funeral Home.
Our Recently Renovated Moreland Blvd. Location
In 2000, the Broadway location was sold in order to consolidate staff and services and be more conveniently located. Various renovations — including improved parking in our parking lot and a newly remodeled interior — to the Moreland Blvd. location continue to ensure that the community can be served for years to come.
Now retired, Grant and his wife Donna continue to enjoy the lifestyle of full-time RVers. They also volunteer and recently responded to a request from NFDA to assist local funeral directors on the Mississippi Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina.